So I’m a bit late in writing this up, but I wanted to make sure I had as much information as possible before writing it.
Nintendo put out their most recent Direct this past Wednesday, and boy was it something. They discussed (by my count) 29 games in some capacity, all for the Switch. Some were announcements, some were updates, some were just “we’re working on it.” And many of them…I did not care about. But I live to serve you, my loyal readers, so here are my thoughts on the direct (if you want to watch it for yourself, click here ).
I’m just going to go in order.
- Super Mario Maker 2 was announced with a release date of June 2019. I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, this looks cool and there is a YouTuber I follow who hasbeen calling for this since the Switch came out, so I’m happy for him. I missed out on the first one since I was one of the…well, majority of people, who didn’t own a Wii U, and it looks fun. On the other hand, I’m not sure I’ll get it. I think this is one of those situations where I’d get it cause it looks cool but never actually play it.
- Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order – Okay, so I am super hyped for this. I loved the first two games (I think the first is probably one of my most played games of all time), and since it’s been so long, I honestly wasn’t expecting to be getting another, so when this was announced at The Game Awards, I just about fell out of my chair. This is 100% a day-one purchase for me. I may even stream it if some of y’all want to see that. Right now it’s scheduled for a Summer 2019 release.
- Box Boy – don’t care. It’s a puzzle game. Won’t spend money on it. Due to release 4/26
- Super Smash Brothers Ultimate – 3.0 update is coming this spring. They didn’t say what’s in it so…yeah. They also announced that the first DLC package with Joker from Persona 5 (which I still need to play) will be coming before the end of April.
- Captain Toad Treasure Tracker – new update with co-op for all levels, plus some paid DLC with new content. I don’t ever plan on playing the game, and this didn’t change that.
- Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night – this one looked kind of interesting. It’s a 2D platformer that looks like it might be enjoyable. I’ll certainly be keeping an eye on it as we get closer to it Summer 2019 release.
- Dragon Quest Builders 2 – coming 7/2. I’ve heard good things about this game on other systems, so this might be good, but I won’t be playing it.
- Dragon Quest 11S – Not sure why they needed to add the “s” but, whatever. I’ve heard good things about the Dragon Quest series and specifically about 11, so I may pick this up. I’ve heard it’s long though, so who knows. Coming Fall 2019
- Disney Tsum Tsum Festival – coming this year. Yawn.
- Starlink: Battle for Atlas – update with new missions for Fox’s team. I still think Starlink doesn’t look that bad, and I still plan on playing it, but I’m not sure I want to bother with the toys aspect and the digital version is still full price. I may just bite the bullet, or wait for it to come down in price even more (it started near $80USD and is now below $30 in some places)
- Rune Factory 4– coming this year. Don’t care
- Rune Factory 5 – in development. Still don’t care
- Oninaki – coming this summer. Also don’t care (sensing a pattern?)
- Yoshi’s Crafted World – releasing 3/29. Also a demo was released on 2/13. I played the demo, and it was…pretty fun. I had Yoshi’s Island for the GameBoy Advanced and played the crap out of it, so I’ve been looking forward to this since it was first shown. The art style isn’t as distracting as I feared, and the gameplay is enjoyable, so I definitely see myself playing this (though, to be fair, I said the same thing after playing the Kirby Star Allies game last year and still haven’t bought that so…)
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses – being released 7/26. I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I’ve never played a Fire Emblem game (unless you count Super Smash Bros., which has like 10 FE characters) and this one looks interesting, but it’s very much a JRPG, with which I have no experience (other than Pokemon, if you count that). I may wait and see on this one.
- Tetris 99 – Well, it’s happened. The battle royal genre has done it… they got to Tetris. I am not a fan of battle royal (mostly because I suck and losing isn’t that fun) and I’m honestly not a huge fan of online multiplayer in general (again, cause I suck). But I jumped into Tetris 99 and, it’s not bad. I was expecting it to be just, who can last the longest in Tetris, wit the game getting steadily harder. On the contrary, the 99 players play against each other, actually attacking each other with extra lines. And the game doesn’t tell you that. You need to figure out that when it say’s watch out, it’s because some other player who’s probably much better than you is targeting you and there are about to be 8 extra lines at the bottom of the board. My highest finish was 2 (out of 99) in three games, and I can see myself trying again. Well done Tetris.
- Dead by Daylight – getting a Switch port this fall. I’ve heard good things about this game, but I’m not a horror game fan, so I’m probably not going to spend time on this.
- Deltarune – this is a…sequel? Spinoff? Something… to Undertale, which I’ve heard is a very good game. Haven’t played it, don’t know if I will, but Deltarune’s first chapter will be released for free 2/28 (the rest of it won’t be free). Also there’s lots of dogs based on the trailer.
- Daemon X Machina – this is coming this summer, and in anticipation, they released a demo with 3 missions called “Prototype Missions.” I played through 3 of them (okay, I didn’t finish the 3rd), and during the announcement they revealed the fourth is a boss fight. If you’re interested in the game, I definitely recommend checking out the demo. I didn’t really have an opinion on it going into it, and after, I’m still not sure how to feel. The combat is enjoyable enough, but it’s very surface level at this point. If you played the Anthem demo (which I played a bit of) it feels kind of like that, in that you play a mercenary in a mech suit. But where Anthem seems to be inspired by Iron Man, Daemon seems to be inspired by Gundam (which I know nothing about, I’ve just seen pics). I’m sure there’s a much deeper story than there is in the demo, but they kind of through you in with characters that clearly have personalities but the demo doesn’t really elaborate on who they are (which I get, since it’s a demo, but more than once I was like “wait, who are you?”). But check out the demo if you think you might be interested. It’s only around for a limited time, so get on it.
- GRID Autosport – coming this summer. It’s a driving game. Doesn’t really interest me.
- Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice – Okay. There is a port of Hellblade coming to Switch this Spring. Now. I LOOOOVE this game. It’s one of the best games I’ve ever played (Check out my review of it). If the Switch is the only console you have, please get it, it’s an incredible experience. If you have a PC or XBOX, get it there instead. This is a game that is exceptionally immersive, both with graphics and audio, and I can’t imagine the Switch’s hardware can replicate it. Especially in handheld mode. It’s also on XBOX Game Pass now so if you pay the $9.99/mo for that you can play this game for free (which you should – again, it’s AMAAAAAAZING)
- Mortal Kombat 11 – releasing 4/23. It’s a fighting game. Not much else to say.
- Unravel 2 – This one looks good. I thought it looked good when it was announced for Xbox last summer, and it still looks good and will probably perform well on the Switch. I’d look into it if your interested. Comes out for Switch 3/22
- Assassin’s Creed 3 Remastered – coming 5/21. This was the first AC game I played, and I honestly enjoy it (even though I rank it 4th out of the 4 I’ve played). The remaster looks good…just not sure the Switch is the place to play it. Maybe try to get it elsewhere if you can.
- Final Fantasy 7 – coming 3/26. I’ve never played a Final Fantasy game, but I know this is hailed as a classic, so I may play it. Seems perfect for the Switch.
- Chocobo’s Mystery Dungeon Everybody – 3/20. No idea what this is.
- Final Fantasy 9 – out NOW. Also heard this is a very good one. May play it.
- Astral Chain – brand new IP from Platinum Games, which also made the Bayonetta series (which I’ve heard is very good and is in my backlog – along with 800 other games). It definitely looks interesting and I’m curious to learn more. Coming 8/30. Also they’re working on Bayonetta 3, so…yay
AND THE BIG ONE!!!!!!!
- The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening – Coming this year (no telling when, but I’d bet sometime around the holidays). This was the first Zelda game I played, back on the GameBoy. I remember I borrowed my cousin’s copy, and couldn’t figure out how to do anything (not my proudest moment). So I am super excited to play this. And it looks so cute! Seriously, check out the trailer.
That’s everything. Nothing on a Metroid Prime Trilogy (which I keep praying for). Nothing on Pokemon 2019. They announced last month that they were starting over on Metroid Prime 4, so I wouldn’t expect that until end of 2020 at the earliest. Still, a good direct over all.
Are you excited for any of these games other than Link’s Awakening? What did you think of the Daemon demo? Is Tetris the battle royal you were waiting for, or has battle royal jumped the shark? Is there a game I seemed uninterested in above that I should check out? Let me know what you think down below!
Also, Nintendo, if you’re reading this and you like what you see, how about hiring someone completely unqualified for a job doing something? HMU!
Until next time…